Alpha-lipoic acid (also called lipoic acid) is an antioxidant that assists the body in the conversion of glucose to energy. Clinical evidence suggests it may improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control in people with type 2 diabetes, reduce symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy, and enhance weight loss when dieting. However, it can be difficult to know which form of alpha-lipoic acid (R-isomer or "mixed" isomer) best suits your needs — and your budget!
Our tests identified many high-quality alpha-lipoic acid products — containing their claimed amounts of alpha-lipoic acid. If they contained additional ingredients, such as herbs, we also tested for potential contamination with the toxic heavy metals lead, cadmium and arsenic.
Among the products which passed our tests and were CL Approved, the cost to get 100 mg of alpha-lipoic acid ranged from just 3 cents to 41 cents. You can easily save a lot of money by shopping wisely!
Some of the more expensive products were made with R-isomer-only alpha lipoic acid, which has both pros and cons.
You must be a Pinoypharmacy.com member to get the full test results along with Pinoypharmacy.com's recommendations and quality ratings. You'll get results for 19 alpha-lipoic acid supplements -- 10 selected by Pinoypharmacy.com and nine which passed testing in our voluntary Quality Certification Program, as well as information about three supplements similar to one that passed testing.
In this comprehensive report, you'll discover:
- The best quality alpha-lipoic acid supplements and which passed or failed testing
- Which alpha-lipoic acid supplements are the best value and are CL's Top Picks
- What alpha-lipoic acid can and cannot do for your health
- How R-alpha-lipoic acid differs from mixed isomer alpha-lipoic acid
- The dose of alpha-lipoic acid for specific uses
- Cautions when using alpha-lipoic acid, including side-effects, drug interactions, and interference with thyroid function, treatment, and tests (such as T3 and TSH)