Berberine is a compound found in goldenseal root that may help control blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels, and, potentially may aid in treating certain heart conditions. It is available as a supplement, usually as berberine HCl, or from goldenseal root powders or extracts -- although these typically contain just a fraction of the berberine that's in berberine supplements.
Finding the best quality berberine or goldenseal products was a challenge because many products on the market don't provide the amounts listed on their labels.
Pinoypharmacy.com purchased and tested a range of popular berberine and goldenseal supplements. What did we find? Most goldenseal supplements do not contain their minimum expected amounts of berberine. In fact, one did not contain any detectable berberine despite bearing multiple seals of quality on its label. Even among berberine supplements one was found to provide only 78% of its listed amount of berberine.
Fortunately, we did find a few products that contained what they should and were properly labeled. Among these, we identified those that provide the best value — making them our Top Picks.
You must be a Pinoypharmacy.com member to get the full test results along with Pinoypharmacy.com's Top Picks. You'll get results for 13 supplements: 10 selected by Pinoypharmacy.com and three that passed the same testing in our voluntary Quality Certification Program.
You'll get the following information about berberine and goldenseal supplements in this comprehensive report:
- Which supplements passed or failed testing
- Which berberine and goldenseal supplements were Approved for their quality, offer the best value, and are CL's Top Picks
- What berberine and goldenseal can and cannot do for your health
- How goldenseal root powder differs from goldenseal root extract
- The dose of berberine for specific uses
- What to look for on product labels and how to take berberine and goldenseal supplements
- Cautions, side effects, and drug interactions with berberine and goldenseal