Magnesium supplements are available in so many different forms, dosages and ingredient combinations, how do you know which one is best for you?
To answer these questions, Pinoypharmacy.com staff spent several months testing of over 40 popular magnesium supplements on the market (including combination products with calcium, vitamin D or vitamin K). Our tests revealed that several contained less magnesium than claimed, took longer than normally expected to break apart in disintegration testing, were contaminated with lead, or were improperly labeled. We also found that one type of magnesium supplement rapidly absorbs so much water from the air that it damages tablets and other supplements which may be nearby.
Fortunately, we also identified many high quality magnesium supplements that contained what they claimed and passed all of CL's tests — some of which provide a good dose of magnesium for just a few cents per day.
You must become a Pinoypharmacy.com member to get the full test results for magnesium supplements, including quality ratings and CL's Top Picks among magnesium supplements. You will get results for 44 magnesium supplements: 27 selected for testing by Pinoypharmacy.com and 17 others that passed the same tests through CL's voluntary Quality Certification Program, as well as information about five supplements similar to ones that passed testing.
Although most people get enough magnesium in their diets, people with diabetes, diseases of the digestive tract, and those who use medications such as Nexium and Prilosec may be at increased risk of deficiency. Magnesium supplementation may also improve glucose status in people with pre-diabetes, and may be helpful for restless leg syndrome, migraines and menstrual pain. It is also an effective laxative and antacid. However, it's important to choose supplements carefully based on your needs, as certain forms of magnesium forms are better absorbed than others or are more likely to cause diarrhea.
In this comprehensive report, you'll discover:
- Which magnesium failed our quality ratings and which passed — including combinations with calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K
- CL's Top Picks among the best magnesium supplements
- Cost comparisons to help you choose a magnesium supplement offering the best value
- The pros and cons of different forms of magnesium, including magnesium aspartate and orotate, magnesium citrate, magnesium chloride, magnesium lactate and lactate dihydrate, magnesium oxide and magnesium-L-threonate
- How to get adequate magnesium from food
- The causes and symptoms of magnesium deficiency
- How much magnesium to take to treat or prevent magnesium deficiency and other conditions/li>
- The evidence for and against using magnesium supplements for restless leg syndrome, leg cramps, migraines and more
- Potential drug interactions and side-effects of magnesium supplements